Monday, October 17, 2011

A Year

Those of you who are a part of my querying journey know I'm impatient.

More than impatient, actually. I am, to quote Meg Murray from A Wrinkle in Time, "Not in the least patient!"

Yet somehow time passes anyway.

In my phone, there is a note from a year ago tomorrow reminding me to write a scene that would later become a pivotal scene in the novel I'm now querying. At least one of my favorite scenes didn't exist. The novel was in third person.

Not a soul had read the full. In fact, the draft wasn't finished until the 25th.

I didn't have many friends in the writing world, and had only ever gotten one positive response on a query.

Many, many things have changed in that year. I have a manuscript I'm proud of and people in my corner. ;I've attended my first writer's conference, written eleven hundred drafts of my query (true story), written three new novels and learned many things.

And whether or not things have moved significantly forward in a year, I can't wait to see what has changed, because if it's half this much it'll be pretty good.

What's changed for you this year?