Friday, October 28, 2011

Friday Five!

1. I brought out Henry for the first time this year (okay, since April. This school year). For those of you new to the blog, and my wacky ways, Henry is my sock monkey hat. He was my post-NaNoWriMo gift to myself last year. He's lovely and warm and gives a certain je ne sais quoi to my attempts to be professional. That said, it is not yet Halloween. Henry should stay on the hat rack for another month at least, what is going on here New England? it snowed last might. SNOWED.

2. Speaking of NaNoWriMo, I'm not NaNoing this year. For the first time since I was fifteen, I will not be attempting the insanity of writing a novel in a month. Partially, this is because I wrote a novel in September and October. It needs to be revised, and I'm revising another one. Secondly, I don't have a good idea for a NaNo at the moment. Thirdly,  I realized something recently. I've only really liked and continued to work on one of the NaNoNovels I actually finished in a month. My two other main projects weren't actually finished during the month. Their final versions came when they were good and ready.

So, short story: Not doing Nano. What I will be doing is querying. More on that later.

3. I read The Night Circus last night. It is the perfect book for a Massachusetts fall, even though most of it takes place in London. Still, the detail and description of spiced cider and hot chocolate made me feel warmer in my frozen state. Pick it up before the snow dulls the Autumnal love. Oh wait...

4. I'm not going to link to the article because I don't want to inadvertently unleash people onto the family featured, but I came across an article in my research for my volunteer position (I'm running a disability-related non-profit's social networking). It was one of your standard kid-with-disabilities-does-well (in this case plays football) local news pieces, but done horribly.

The term "special needs kid" was used. I understand special needs vs. disabilities. People consider it more all-encompassing. Whatever. But PEOPLE WITH SPECIAL NEEDS. Not SPECIAL NEEDS PEOPLE. It's important.

His MOTHER asserted the kid would probably never get a chance like this again, "being that he's limited". Being. That. He's. Limited.

He has Cerebral Palsy and Epilepsy according to the article. He's not the boy in the plastic bubble. I'm sure he has to do stuff differently but....

Being that I'm limited, I don't have the words to express my annoyance.

Being that I'm limited, I am simply going to show you a video of the muppets and move on.

Being that I'm limited, I totally don't have to write this paper on an 18th century children's novel! Oh...Wait.

Being that I'm limited means jack squat. Right.

5.

Final Muppet trailer (watch 'til the end. It gets HILARIOUS)