Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Gimp Encounters

Before you read this go buy Name of the Star and Lola and the Boy Next Door. I'll wait.

Done? Okay, good.

Today I had an interview, and then I went to Copley Square. I had a plan, to return library books, sell used records, meet a friend for lunch and then go to the Farmer's Market for cider and pumpkin bread.

While my friend and I were walking down the street, a woman stopped me. "Excuse me," she said. "I don't know what you've been through, but I know of a miracle cure. Have you ever heard of (something something)? It absorbs through the skin, and I know people who've been burned all over--"

Cue tune out.

I informed the woman that I was fine the way I am. (Which lead to a lot of thinking about what if there was a miracle cure, but we'll save the navel-gaing for later) We went into Starbucks. My friend was amused and shocked. I've been evangelized to on the streets of London. Not much fazes me.

but then

after seeing the Apple memorial (sometimes in this season in Massachusetts there are just randomly apples on the ground, but I think it's safe to say these were put there):


I stood on the T platform. An elderly man came up to me, on the right side so I didn't see him until he was RIGHT IN MY FACE (new followers: blind n right eye. It's a thing) and says: "YOU HAVE BEAUTIFUL GREEN HAIR!"

...

I got my hair dyed yesterday.

It's blonde.

Blonde-blonde.

I have HEVER had green hair, except for that ten second period in the salon while she fixed the incident with the blue.

After a slight panic attack I realized the pole I was leaning on was green, and maybe the reflection made my hair green. Or maybe the man wasn't entirely sane. It's Boston, you be the judge.

Oh, but I did get cider. And pumpkin bread (admit it, you were worried).

Anyone else have any weird encounters they'd like to share?