Wednesday, June 8, 2011

RTW: Plotter or Pantser

Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival, where YA Highway’s contributors and readers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s take on the topic.

This week’s prompt was: Are you a plotter or a pantser?


Depends on how you categorize. I rarely outline until the last few chapters, but I let plots simmer for long enough (thanks to my unending MS monogamy) that I usually have a fair idea (or at least a series of images) of where things are going.

I've tried different things while revising, outline, snowflake method, but every revision changes too much for these things to really work for me.

Interestingly, in life I'm much more of a planner. I make epic documents for major life choices (e.g. grad school), but although I do a lot of research and note taking on what I want to happen, often I really just go with my gut. Maybe more of a pantser after all.