Monday, January 31, 2011

SCBWI NYC

I just got back from The Land of Acronyms!

Or, you know, #nyc11scbwi. however you want to think of it.

I discovered a few things while I was there. Not the massive, life changing things that some people get out of it, but Things nonetheless.

I learned that my MFA/MA was the best decision I've made in a long time. I can see how much it has benefited my writing, how much I've learned through it. Simple things, like about inciting incidents and where to begin a story, and bigger things about subject matter, and how to read.

I learned that I need to pay more attention when scheduling my time at conferences. Three agent breakouts was superfluous, especially when much of what they said could be found On The Internet. I didn't enjoy Friday much due to this.

But Sara Zarr's speech on Saturday made up for it. So amazing. I'm going to try to be more patient now. To do the work, and to love it. That's what's important, after all.

It wasn't what I thought it would be, maybe. My critique sessions with Mary Kole and Kate Sullivan were great, and I'm considering going to LA either this summer or next. Once I'm more connected in the YA world.

I don't regret the experience at all, and am proud to be a SCBWI member.

0 comments:

Post a Comment