Thursday, December 8, 2011

Movin' Right Along

Last night I got to see The Muppet Movie on the big screen. This one:



The Brattle Theater had it as an exclusive (and if you're a Bostonian, it's playing tonight too). I went on my own because all my friends are losers, or have a paper due or something like that, but with an event like this you're not really on your own. it was so cool to be in a room with people who appreciated the movie enough to go to an event like this--or people who wanted their first experience with it to be in an actual cinema and so were into the experience.

It wasn't a digitally remastered rerelease or anything like that, so there were some pops on the screen. What's interesting about that, to me, is that it makes me very aware I'm seeing a film, and The Muppet Movie breaks the fourth wall often enough that this almost adds to it. It's the Swedish Chef up there with the projector, after all.

The one thing about reviving movies that I find interesting is it makes you realize how contemporary to their times even the most classic films can be. Some of the jokes in the movie as well as the cameos require you to know the context--and it's ten years older than I am, so some I'll never quite get. The moment when a film, book or TV show is released is crucial--I don't think anything is TRULY timeless.

What do you think?

Don't forget, comment here to win December's book contest!