Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday Five!

1. If you haven't seen The Muppets yet, go. I'll wait.

Back?

2.  Good, now go see Hugo. Hugo is based on the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret. We read it in literary criticism, where we were very careful not to call it a novel or a picturebook. It's both, but it's neither. I dubbed it a "cinematic novel" and worried that it would lose something by having that transfered to a modern film. (The books illustrations are in black and white, and heavily influenced by silent film.) It didn't.

The film added a few elements to the book that I questioned, but ultimately worked for me. They were disability related. In the background of scenes in the train station, just in crowd shots, there was a person in a wheelchair. And the station master whose character was expanded for the film was injured in the Great War. It almost falls into the trap of villan=disabled....until it doesn't. I do have a small bit of issue with the disabled=broken them, but I think Scorcese and Logan er on the side of acceptable. Overall, the film is absolutely gorgeous, and a perfect adaptation of the book.

TL;DR Media is problematic.

3. I can't believe how all-about-movies this is about to be, because I'm not a movies person, but the other day I went to see the limited engagement of Being Elmo at the Brattle Theater. The tiny, one screen theater is just another thing I love about Harvard Square. They play all kinds of films--they're showing The Muppet Movie next week--and they have a real old-style theater feel. They even show Casablanca on Valentine's day.

Anyway, Being Elmo is about Kevin Clash, the puppeteer who made Elmo, well, Elmo. And I know that currently Elmo is an obnoxious ball of red fur who sings "la la la la" way too much. But when I was little, in the early 90s, he was the preschooler watching the show. He wasn't the biggest star. He was just there, just Elmo, and he was your friend. So seeing the story of the guy who made him--who came from a Baltimore suburb with surprisingly supportive parents and who idolized Jim Henson--is pretty cool.

Also Whoopi Goldberg narrates. WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?

4. This article is about a kid who basically took his disability and said, so what. That's what I love. He didn't let it determine what he did, or didn't do. He loves music, so he plays piano, even though he doesn't have elbows or five fingers. And he sings my favorite song ever. (Slightly off key.... but whatever).

5. The Second City Network posted this on YouTube yesterday, and I think it's really intelligent parody. I loved--mostly--the video for Katy Perry's The One That Got Away (although I thought her old-age make-up sucked) but it's not realistic for today's wannabe artist. Her flashback scenes reminded me of Patti Smith's Just Kids, a world that doesn't really exist anymore. I really liked the way they're pointing that out.



5a. I'm doing SO much in then next week, so hopefully there will be posts about it!