Monday, December 20, 2010

A Fresh Start

Since I'm in a place where I'm planning on seeking publication, but not knee-deep in queries and rejections, I figured that it was a good time to start blogging seriously, and keep it up during the semester.

Semester. Yes, I'm a student. I'm pursuing my MA/MFA in Writing and Literature for Children at Simmons College in Boston, MA. There has been a lot of talk of MFAs in the writing blogosphere lately, particularly the NYC vs MFA article last month. They go on about MFAs not giving you practical ability to become published, and I saw a lot of that when I was applying for programs last year.

But my program is different. We take Writing I and Writing II our first year, and then the next year we have two mentorships, each to work on a different project, and each to produce works worthy of publication. In theory, if you're doing the dual-degree, you then have another semester to a year of academic classes-- cushioning in my opinion-- to give you the chance to get your legs under you. With luck, it'll work out for me. We'll see. But until then I'm writing, and blogging. What will this blog be?

-Book Reviews
-Writing musings
-Some things about me
-Book Reviews (specifically about books dealing with disabilities)
-Disability issues.

Should be fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment