Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday Five!

1. It is JULY, you guys. How in name of our monkey overlords did that happen? I would be more upset about it July didn't mean:
A. Torchwood! It comes back July 8th!
B. The youth leadership forum I volunteer at every summer, where I'll get to hang out with my best friends and be there the kids who need role models during the time between high school and college.
C. The final Harry Potter movie! (which is actually kind of sad so I'll give Mac OSX Lion to balance it out).

2. I came across this  last night. It's Katie Price, a UK celebrity writing a letter to the Daily Mail about her son who has autism, visual impairments and several other challenges. Apparently, a comedian made some very rude remarks about him, and I admire her for speaking out. She makes a lot of excellent points, but I think this is the one people don't like to touch on:

Imagine if the reason Boyle gave for saying Harvey was capable of raping me was not because of his disability but because he is black. People would understand how discriminatory that is. It is just as discriminatory when the joke is based on someone's disability.



Disability is often an unspoken of minority like any other, and more people need to remember that.

3. I read Chaz Bono's latest book Transition: The Story of How I Became a Man the other day. I'd never thought much about Chaz before he came out as FtM, but reading the book gave an insight into a condition I've always been interested in. (I think I saw a documentary as a fairly young kid and it stuck with me). To me issues like being Transgendered have similar effects to having a disability. Your body just doesn't do what you want it to, and other people don't get it. Simple, and yet so complicated.

4. Last night's YA Highway chat was fraught with technological complications, but once we found a venue, it was so much fun! I love getting to know people in the YA world better! On a related note, if you pre-order John Green's next book The Fault in Our Stars, you will get a signed copy. Isn't that cool?

5. This is my current song obsession. I don't know where I got it, but I love it.