Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Of Spying and Samaritans

It's been a while since I had a truly bloggable Chelsey-day. My life has involved a lot of sitting in the couch watching Shameless, and that's not particularly story-worthy. Yesterday, though. Oh, yesterday.

My laptop died last week. Hard drive went pfft, and to get it fixed I have to take in the original hard drive (I replaced it to get more memory in December). That is at home...somewhere. It being the most hectic part of the semester, I made the executive decision to upgrade and sell my old one once it is fixed. So, I drug my butt out into the snow yesterday to go to the Apple Store, where I spent WAY too much money on a laptop and got my cracked iPad replaced. With two hours to spare until class, I then took a cab down to school. While on the way, I stuffed the massive laptop box into my backpack, discovering a new zipper in the process. (The bag has SO MANY POCKETS).

And I left my phone in the cab.

For those keeping score, that's the second time this semester.

Anyway, I stood in the street for a while, hoping the driver would turn around. He didn't. I ran inside and spread out on the library floor. My new iPad wouldn't connect, so I had to take out the computer, go on Find My iPhone, download Skype... With Find My iPhone, I could SEE my phone driving away. This was a good sign compared to last time, though, when whomever found it turned it off making it untraceable. I sent a message to the phone, made it make noise, called the cab company.  They could only message the drivers, and no, it didn't help that I could tell them EXACTLY WHERE HE WAS, AT THAT SECOND.

In the message I sent to my phone, I gave them my mother's number to call. Had I been smart, I would have given them my roommate's instead and kept my mom out of it.... Anyway, she got a call from a man named Joe who had my phone. He'd sat on it, and it kept making noise. (Score one for Find my iPhone.) He left it with the receptionist at his office. I got up this morning, took The Ride down to the South End and had my phone back before breakfast.  It was so lucky, and so great of him. There are good people out there.

On the trip back, my Ride driver commented that if you wanted to spy on someone, you could pretend to leave your phone in their car and track them.

So there's that.

At least I didn't drop it in one of the massive puddles outside the library.

0 comments:

Post a Comment