Wednesday, June 27, 2012

It's Not "If"

Today, the intern i'm mentoring told me he wants to find out "if" he can work. I immediately told him that the word isn't "if" it's "how."

The thing is, this is a question I've asked myself a million times. if I can work. If I'll ever get published. If this illness or that wound will get better. Telling my intern that he was using the wrong word made me realize that I"M using the wrong word, too.

How means that you have control. How gives you a to-do list to check off. It encourages you to do your best, rather than leaving everything up to The Powers That Be. And so even if one "how" doesn't work out, there's always another.

Just a little reminder on a Wednesday morning.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to meeting you on Tuesday!
    I know someone else at Simmons--I wonder if you know her. Remind me to ask you.
    See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete