Monday, June 25, 2007

EATEN BY YARN GUYZ!!!

Tomorrow Mom and I are going to Tallahassee for the day and spending the night because she has a meeting (dinner with my best friend!). I'm the type of person who likes to have everything done so that all I have to do in the morning is make coffee, pull on my clothes, toss my toothbrush in my bag and style my bangs (give me a break, they're new) before going. Tonight this involved winding my LAST BALL OF KUREYON.

Usually I just keep it in the ball it comes in, but it was particularly loose and I could see it exploding all over the car. So, I decided to wind it.

It had to have more tangles than any Kureyon ball I've EVER seen (and considering it's the 23rd, and they're famous for tangles....) I seriously thought I would go crazy. I am not patient with tangles, and tend to make them worse. And it was eleven o'clock at night.

And did I mention I'm NOT patient with tangles?

But, I did it! With little loss of life!

Casualties of the tangle war:



Finished ball:


Book review, because hopefully my next post will be of finished blocks and such.


The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I've wanted to read this for a while, because of a mention in the fanfics of a great Harry Potter fic author, Sam (his works Stealing Harry and Lacoon's Children are amazing alternate universes) and the Liz Phair song H.W.C. (NOT WORK SAFE)

It's obviously Wilde's first novel. It also happens to be his only novel. The story is good, very original, and yet.... There is plenty of detail in the beginning, and when Dorian first finds out that his portrait ages and he does not, but his decent into darkness once he has eternal youth is sadly unfleshed out. At first I understand Wilde's intent, he wishes for this to seem shadowy, for readers to not know exactly what he knows about people or who he is, but all of this is such a sudden character change for the usually philanthropic man, and cannot all come from the influence of Henry.... I just have difficulty accepting it.

The little bits of vulnerability that are still visible even in the more devious Dorian are good, for instance his nervousness after the murder he commits.... and his naiveté early on is good, his youth well-portrayed. I think Wilde copped out a bit with the death of the man stalking Gray, but obviously he wanted Dorian's demise at his own hand.

Overall, a good read, dripping with classic Wilde satire, but more actual detail and perhaps a little less heavy philosophy would be good in a novel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment