Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Space Between

Watching one of John Green's videos the other day made me think (shocker). In the video, embedded below, he discusses the people he took a course on Ulysses with. They all became successful people. One of them was Ransom Riggs, author of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

I know a lot of people who are probably going to be big someday. In high school, college and grad school I was/am surrounded by talented, intelligent people. The kind who dream big and work hard. I have no doubt that many of us will make waves in our fields.

But there's this time in between the days of dream-creating and dream-fulfilling. In my humble opinion, this time sucks. We're scattered all over the world with goals that are visible but not yet attainable. It's isolating and it's hard.

Some of us are starting to break through. I had an article published. A friend booked a TV show. Another bought her wedding dress. We're fleshing out the shadows of our future selves. The difficulty is in finding a way to be happy in the in-between, and in working on that with the same voracity as you work on achieving your goal.

I'm just trying to believe that's possible....


0 comments:

Post a Comment